Thursday, August 09, 2007

After Argenteuil- remembering Monet

SOLD


"After Argenteuil", 8x10, oil on canvas


I think the hubby and I are done road-tripping for a while and after returning home last night I was anxious to paint. It's funny, but having been away from daily painting for over a month- I felt LOST today when I took out my paints!


I hardly knew where to begin. Finally, in desperation, I focused on what I think I know best- the French Impressionists. Their time at Argenteuil was fruitful. This painting was for me as well , as it marked the very first time in my history that I felt that I'd actually done a true IMPRESSIONIST painting. Most of my paintings are a cross between, impressionism, realism and expressionism. My artist friends have called my work New Age art, though I don't consider that a compliment. I've been painting now since the Spring of 2005- a little more than 2 years, and just about a year and a half with oils, so I shouldn't be too hard on myself. But having had the opportunity to travel to different galleries lately and see the works of other artists, I do find that I envy artists who began their careers at an early age and had the benefit of extensive training. I know I need to continue to work on my technique.


In the end, I would like to think that It's all coming out the way I suppose it was meant to come out, my art included!

I'd like to thank all the wonderful people who began collecting my paintings this year. It was a good year for me- and proved to me that I should continue to paint as people obviously enjoy the work that I produce. With a miserable economy here in the US, I only hope that people will continue to collect art which makes them feel happy, and I for one will endeavor to keep my prices low to permit middle class collectors to own an original oil painting composed by a person who only has a small number of good years to produce works that she and her collectors can be proud of.





, , , , , ,, , .