Friday, October 31, 2008

Bittersweet Memories

SOLD"Bittersweet Memories", 12x16, oil on Claussens linen

I named the painting "Bittersweet Memories" in keeping with the dramatic essence of the piece. The elements of an empty goblet, a lemon and peel, and blood red roses set against a midnight backdrop add romance, intrigue and a little mystery to this elegant still life. I have always been idealistic in a romantic and impractical way and so is this still life painting, if you think about it. The glass is empty, and all that remains are elements that are sour and thorny. Nevertheless, I didn't see it that way when I painted it. I saw a romantic grouping of beautifully colored and variantly shaped elements placed under a mysterious (chiaroscuro) light setting.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Maryanne,

So glad my catalogs are working for you. I love your roses, and never thought about that variety you used. Never had it in my yard. But a good selection.

Nice painting, and keep them coming. The world is just one rose away from the beauty you create on your canvas.

Holly