Monday, January 25, 2010

Poetic Mission-Final, 14x11, oil on linen, Mission San Juan Capistrano painting

SOLD"Poetic Mission", 14x11, oil on linen

After selling my first (and favorite) Mission Capistrano painting last week, I knew I had to paint another one like it. This one has more subtle colors, as the light temperature the day that I took the reference photo was softer than the first time I had visited the mission. The glorious thing about Mission Capistrano is that no matter how many times one visits the mission, the scenery is ever-changing! The angel trumpets were blooming during this visit, but I felt that by adding them I'd be giving the viewer too much information, so I decided to leave the vines out. That will present an opportunity for another mission painting!

As I was painting this one, my husband remarked to me that the book he was reading by Anne Rice called Angel Time features the old Mission prominently. So I have decided to read the book, too. Anne's description of New Orleans in her "Lasher" series, was mesmerizing, so I am anxious to see what she has done in her book with the Mission.

If you are unfamiliar with the beautiful Capistrano Mission in San Juan Capistrano , California, this old Spanish mission is a site where the swallows return annually to migrate in March, on St. Joseph's feast day. Be sure to visit the mission, (regardless of your religion), as it is a place of unbelievable beauty and serenity!



, , , , ,,,,, , , , ,,, ,

2 comments:

Roxanne Steed said...

Beautiful painting! - is it one of my favorite places to visit, back when we were stationed in San Diego. They used to have a wonderful plein air paint out there each year (I'm guessing they still do!).

Daily Paintings said...

Beautiful piece!