Friday, January 15, 2010

Red Lipstick- 16x12, oil on linen

"Red Lipstick", 16x12, oil on linen

This painting was started last spring. The young woman who modeled for the session had just graduated from The Ringling College of Art and Design, and I had a feeling that she had more important things on her mind than modeling, the day that she modeled for this painting. She was a lovely girl, with a China doll complexion, and my only regret was that I didn't have more time to paint her from life.

I don't like to try to finish portraits without the model right in front of me, but since this one no longer lives in the area, I decided to have a go at it from the photo that I'd taken that day, since I had a good start anyway. You can follow the progression of the painting below...

Just for fun, I entered this one into a competition- I don't do portraits often enough to consider my work refined, but I also think that I have a knack for painting people nonetheless. We'll see...







"Red Lipstick", 16x12, oil on linen

, , , ,

No comments: