Friday, September 17, 2010

"Taking Off", 14x11, oil on linen by Maryanne Jacobsen

SOLD
"Taking Off", 14x11, oil on linen

Although news about the Deepwater Horizon oil disaster in the Gulf of Mexico and the Macondo reservoir have dropped off the radar screen for most people, I am definitely not convinced that things are well (sorry the pun) in and around the Gulf of Mexico.

I read the website Florida Oil Spill Law everyday, and if even 50% of it is accurate, then we have not even begun to scratch the surface in terms of the consequences of this epic disaster. What is going on in the Gulf? I for one, believe that the environment has already been irrevocably damaged, and I think that this disaster has global implications that have not even begun to reach the mainstream. I also believe that the environmental disaster in the Gulf is why our President invoked two important executive orders in June and July, while the country was preoccupied with other things and not paying attention. I believe that after the November elections are over, more truth about the far-reaching extent of this disaster will come out, and that it will eventually be recognized as global in scope.

I hate to be an alarmist, and I for one hate to see the value of my real estate sink into the dark depths of uncertainty (much like the oil has sunk into the cold dead depths of the Gulf, thanks to Corexit). But unfortunately, most Americans are too busy to pay close attention to details, and that is probably not a good thing, if you value things like unalienable rights. I really do prefer reality over fiction when it comes to the health and safety and welfare of the planet, so for that reason I spend a good deal of time researching as much material as I possibly can, in order to get the REAL STORY. That means looking at both sides of the story, preferably without bias, and that is where people usually get lost.

My husband often tells me that I should have been a CIA agent, because I figure out the plot of most thriller and suspense movies within 15-20 minutes of the beginning. That's not always true, but I admit that I am pretty good about anticipating things most people wouldn't even dream of thinking about.

The two of us sat down together the other night and watched "The Pelican Brief" on Netflix. I had never seen it, since I am really not much of a movie buff. My hubby however, had, back in 1993, but he sat still, hoping I wouldn't nail the plot, as usual.

I did. Within 15 minutes, or maybe less, though I must admit, the title was a pretty good give-away.

I nailed it faster than Julia Roberts. It's tough living with a mind like mine. Tough, but never dull. Here's the tagline:

"Two Supreme Court Justices have been assassinated. One lone law student has stumbled upon the truth. An investigative journalist wants her story. Everybody else wants her dead."

I'll give you a hint. This movie rang too many bells for comfort, regarding the BP oil spill and the way in which it has been handled. Okay, 'nuff with all that. Hopefully, everyone will live happy ever after, as BP and the government would like us to believe.

The painting of the Great Blue Heron taking off was inspired by the many herons who have frequented the beach where I have walked, read, painted, swam and played over the past 5-6 years that I have lived here. The beaches here are very special, and the marine life and wild life is unlike anything I have ever experienced in my many travels to beautiful places. It's lovely. It's peaceful. It's sacred. I hope that God will heal these waters and that we all can find alternative ways to produce energy that are much less threatening to the environment and the people of this planet. I hope that the many people who work in oil and gas can find safe places for exploration and that the companies who do this work can adopt safer methods of conducting their explorations, and that the agencies involved will pay more attention to details. Even I know that sea lions and seals don't swim in the GULF!, for heaven's sake!


If you are interested in this painting, please send me an email at maryannejacobsen@aol.com, or call Leah Sherman directly at Collector's Gallery and Framery at 941-488-3029.


, , , , , ,, , ,

, , , ,

No comments: