Saturday, August 20, 2011

"Summer Kitchen, evening", 12x16, oil on linen by Maryanne Jacobsen


"Summer Kitchen, evening", 12x16, oil on linen by Maryanne Jacobsen

Sometimes I force myself to do paintings like this one. I know I won't enjoy it , but it's like doing your homework or eating liver- you know it's good for you.

This was especially hard, because I had to paint sitting down. For me, painting sitting down is like dancing with one foot in a cast. It's restrictive, it's crippling, it's horrible.

However, because of the set-up that I composed, I had no choice. I used my antique cupboard as the basis for the set-up and because of limited space and lighting restrictions, I had to compose the set-up in a way that was feasible to paint. So I had to paint sitting down.

Here's the set-up:



I may work on this a bit more tomorrow. I don't know. I'm kind of sick of it because I've been working on it for a few days. At any rate, I learned a lot from doing this painting. I feel more at ease with folds in tablecloths, now. I decided not to put in all the florals in the cloth pattern , because I thought it would be too busy.

This is a northeastern kind of painting. It would have looked very nice in my Pennsylvania farmhouse in Chester Springs. It's not going to fit in with my Florida home. I had to give away all my milk jugs when I moved to Florida. What a pity. I picked this one up pretty cheap while I was in Maine. Lucky me.

So this painting will need to find another home where it will fit in nicely. Let me know what you think of it.

No comments: