Friday, June 29, 2012

SOLD
"Afternoon Light-Mission Capistrano", 16x12, oil on board by Maryanne Jacobsen

This is a painting of the church courtyard at Mission San Juan Capistrano that I painted last year. I just love that old mission! You can click on the image to see the painting better. I painted it with both brush and palette knife. It was a complex scene for a couple reasons. The old adobe part of the mission where the bells are located is definitely unusual in terms of architecture. (See photo below) So I always feel challenged when I try to capture the complexity of the structure. The wall of the courtyard was more straightforward, but the combination of contrasting colors and perspective of the three adjoining buildings challenged me a bit. I had fun with the bougainvillea and the aloe plant in the foreground though.

Mission San Juan Capistrano is located in southern California in Orange County, about an hour north of San Diego and just south of Laguna Beach. I have visited it three or four times and never grow tired of that beautiful place. It is a national treasure and historic monument, and most people have heard the beautiful legend about the swallows that return there every year to nest. To read more about the mission and the swallows , please go here.

If you would like to see more of my Mission San Juan Capistrano paintings, just insert the word Capistrano into the search box located in the left hand sidebar.


, , , , , ,, , ,,, ,,, , , , ,,,,, , , , ,,, ,

No comments: