Wednesday, January 16, 2013

"Old Boat, New Day", 12x16, oil on panel, old boat, fishing boat, Venice Florida, North Jetty Venice Florida, paintings of boats,

"Old Boat, New Day", 12x16, oil on panel

Last week my plein air group painted at the North jetty in Venice. I did a small 8x10 and was happy with it. So yesterday I decided to go back there and do a larger painting.

As luck woul have it,  a fisherman was just bringing in his boat as I was setting up! I was so excited! The boat was old and had tons of character. I kept hoping he was not docking the boat just to go to the bathroom or something! But the old boat stayed there for the next two hours and so I worked quickly to put it in.



It turned around a couple times in the current, but not before I had a chance to capture it.

The painting has lots of texture in it and I was pleased with how it turned out. Just goes to show you, sometimes returning to the same spot really helps. In this case, I felt that I had a better chance to study the tree mass to the left which had been a little vague in the first painting.

No comments: