Saturday, June 08, 2013

"Golden Hour", 14x11, oil on linen, girls with parasols, Provence, sunset hour, girls in white dresses, French countryside



"Golden Hour", 14x11, oil on linen

This painting was a good challenge for me in many ways, and so I'm glad that I decided to try it. In the end I was pretty happy with the way it came out.

I took a photo that Deborah Lawrenson was gracious enough to send me, of a pathway near her country home in Provence. Deborah is a fabulous British author, and if you have not read her most recent book, The Lantern, you should. It mixes elements of Gothic mystery and romance with the incredible allure of the Provincial countryside, where Deborah has her summer home.

My thoughts have been in Provence quite a bit recently and my hubby has given the go-ahead to plan a fall trip there. In anticipation of that, I took out the photo that Deborah had sent me well over a year ago, and combined it with a recent photo that I took of one our models at the Kim English workshop this past spring. Our model was tall, slender and very photogenic, and many of the workshop particpants were all too happy to snatch as many photos of her as we possibly could!

The one I chose to go with the photo of Provence, seemed like it might work. The model was in shadow for the most part and so I knew that if I placed her on the shadowed portion of the path, it could work if I was careful where I put the highlights.

So hopefully it did! Please let me know what you think.

1 comment:

Lisa Roche said...

Gorgeous!