Sunday, November 09, 2014

"Sunsets with Jill", 9x12, cats, paintings of cats, sunsets, Cedar Key

SOLD
"Sunsets with Jill", 9x12

And so Jill's legacy to the art world lives on.

What am I talking about, you ask?

If you have been reading my blog for any length of time, you may recall that I took a lovely trip last spring to Cedar Key, Florida for a weekend getaway with my hubby. There were absolutely no accommodations to be found in town, but as luck would have it, a chance walk into a realtor's office provided the much needed getaway accommodation  we'd been hoping for.

When we saw the home, we knew we had hit paydirt! It was absolutely lovely, beautifully decorated, and came with its own dock and golf cart! Yup, life is good sometimes.

So we began the weekend with a trip to a local seafood restaurant for some take-out, which we brought back to our "getaway" so that we could enjoy the sunset from our prime location, as we ate our meal on the deck.

But seconds after sitting down to my salmon plate, a very strange looking cat meandered up to me and plopped herself down right onto my lap! When I say strange, I am not exaggerating. This was probably the homeliest cat I had ever seen, and I'm a cat lover.



The long and the short of it was that the cat wanted my salmon dinner much more than my affection and the two of us began a cat and mouse game over who would end up with the salmon. I finally gave into her demands forking over piece after piece of savory salmon pate. From that point on, I was sunk. She never let me alone for the rest of the weekend, and at one point I had to cast her over the side of the dock to get her out of my paints! I had set up on that dock the entire weekend, and probably turned out about half a dozen paintings from that one location- sunrises, sunsets and everything in between.

So the last night we were there, I painted Jill doing her sunset walk, and the painting sold almost as soon as I posted it here on my blog.

Seems other people love homely cats, too!

This painting is also sold and was commissioned by the owner of the lovely home where we stayed. Interestingly, Jill the cat does not live there. She only visits when people eat salmon on the deck.

To read more about Jill and see photos of her in real life, go to my earlier post which is here.

No comments: