Tuesday, December 30, 2014

"Chilly in the Shade", 11x14, plein air, Bay Preserve, palm trees, Intracoastal waterway, Florida art

"Chilly in the Shade", 11x14, plein air

I haven't wirtten in my blog much lately, due to the busy Christmas season- spending time with love ones, shopping, eating too much, etc.

This painting was painted in early December, during a very chilly week by Southwest Florida standards.

It was painted at Bay Preserve during a workshop with the amazingly talented master impressionist, Lori Putnam. Lori's a hoot- she totally manages to balance the seriousness of painting with a sense of humor.

This was one of four paintings that I did during the workshop. It was done with a limited palette of Cad Yellow Pale, Cad Red Light, Permanent Rose and Ultramarine Blue. Lori uses Napthol red instead of the two reds I used, but for me, limiting myself to only 4 colors plus white was a stretch.

Here was my scene on that chilly morning:

I considered adding the artist, but thought better of it in light of the challenges I was having with the limited palette.

Thanks, Lori! It was an awesome workshop!

No comments: