Tuesday, December 13, 2016

"Princess Aurora", 12x16, oil, paintings of dancers, Sleeping Beauty Ballet, pink tutu, en pointe, dance art, ballerinas, Maryanne Jacobsen original art

SOLD
"Princess Aurora", 12x16, oil

Just finished this new commission and I am actually happy with it! "Actually", because I am usually pretty hard on myself. The painting portrays Princess Aurora, from "The Sleeping Beauty" ballet in attitude croise. This ballet, set to music by Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky is an old Russian favorite, originally set to choreography by Petipa.

My own company, the West Chester Ballet Theatre, performed excerpts from it many years ago. The music is beautiful and the Garland Dance, danced by young girls with hoops festooned with garlands of flowers, was always my all-time favorite dance in the entire ballet.

This painting is sold, but I often do other paintings of dancer, so check back often.

No comments: