Sunday, June 04, 2017

"Along the Brandywine", 8x10, oil, Maryanne Jacobsen art, Brandywine Creek, Hagley Museum, Breck's Mill, Rising Sun Bridge, metal truss bridges, autumn colors

SOLD
"Along the Brandywine", 8x10

Back in October I enjoyed a lovely afternoon painting along the Brandywine, during the Brandywine Valley annual plein air event.

The original plein air painting that I did that day has sold, but yesterday I decided to try the scene again, remembering how difficult a scene it was for me to paint with the rapidly changing light that afternoon.

Even though this is a studio painting, it was still difficult for me because there were so many elements to deal with-water reflections, foreground rocky mess, trees in shadow, trees in light, etc. I enjoyed it nevertheless as it is best to challenge oneself with subjects outside one's comfort zone.

The subject was the old truss bridge just downstream of Breck's Mill near the Hagley Museum. I believe it is called the Rising Sun Bridge, if I remember correctly. The metal span is supported by stone structures on either side and it is one of only two metal truss bridges left in the area. I'm looking forward to returning there again in the fall.

This  little painting is available. Just send me an email at maryannejacobsen@aol.com , if interested.

No comments: