Tuesday, December 19, 2017

"Autumn Vista at Granogue", 12x16, oil on panel, plein air, Du Post family, Granogue, Plein Air, Brandywine Valley, Hagley Museum, PABV, Paintings of autumn, barns, color, Brandywine Valley, Maryanne Jacobsen art

"Autumn Vista at Granogue", 12x16, oil on panel, plein air

This is another painting that I did during Plein Air Brandywine Valley back in October. I realize that I've been a little late in posting all of these, but I've been busy with some commissions and Christmas preparations.

It was an absolutely gorgeous day when I painted, at Granogue, a Du Point estate in Wilmington known by residents  all around for the water tower landmark that stands on the outskirts of the huge property on Smiths Bridge Road and Montchanin Road just west of the Brandywine, where Eleuthere Irenee Du Post  built a gunpowder mill about 200 years ago. 



Folks can still visit the mill today, called Eleutherian Mills, which is near the Granogue estate, along with Winterthur and the Hagley Museum- all beautiful museums which house much of the history of the storied Du Post family.

I always consider it a privilege to paint here at this beautiful place. Rolling hills,  barns, workers houses, a railroad station and undulating cornfields are just small parts of the estate. The Country House is perched on the top of a hill overlooking the beautiful Brandywine hillside.

Towards the end of the painting, I had to turn my canvas away from the barn because of the sun, but you can see the beautiful cornfields that were behind me as I painted.

I've done a couple paintings at Granogue in the past, and they are all sold. If you would like to purchase this one, it is loaded with thick paint and beautiful autumn colors! Just send me an email at maryannejacobsen@aol.com for purchase info.

Thanks for visiting my blog and come back again!

To read more about Granogue, here is a neat article by the Washington Post, of a party hosted at Granogue by the Du Post Patriarch.

No comments: