Thursday, February 12, 2009

Antique French Bottle with grapes, lemons and orchids

SOLD
"Antique French Bottle with Grapes, Lemons and Orchids", 8x10, oil on linen

I painted this one back in the fall. Today I added the purple orchids to the top right hand side of the painting. It looks more balanced now. I also enhanced the colors in the grapes and lemons somewhat, which is more in keeping with my style as a colorist.

I'm actually surprised that this one hasn't sold yet . It is so pretty! Okay , so it's not David Leffel, mind you, but it's still darned pretty! (David's 8x10's also cost thousands of dollars!)

Last spring I tried to enroll into a David Leffel workshop that was offered at the Long Boat Key Center for the Arts, where I am a member. It was filled by the time I tried to enroll, in spite of what would have been the highest tuition I'd ever paid for a master workshop! (Don't even ask.)

Anyhow, at least I took a workshop with Louis Tedesco, one of David's most avid students, now deceased (regretfully). So I learned a little bit about chirascuro from Louis. Here's the first version. Now isn't the new version better?

"Antique French bottle with grapes", 8x10, oil on linen



PS: Check out the picture of me mopping the paint off the kitchen floor after 6 hours wrestling with this bottle!



No comments: