Thursday, February 16, 2012

"Phillippi Mansion, side view", 12x12 on board, plein air-$200 by Maryanne Jacobsen


"Phillippi Mansion, side view", 12x12 on board, plein air-by Maryanne Jacobsen

This morning the Sun Coast plein air painters painted at the Phillippi Estate Park. It's quite pretty there, with views of the bay, boats, mangrove trees, a gazebo, a rose garden, and a lovely southern-style mansion with Spanish tile roof. Being a glutton for punishment (and also because I was too lazy to walk all the way down to the boat dock), I painted this side view of the mansion, which once again included my painting nemesis- Spanish moss. It was kind of overcast at first, but then the sun came out and it was pretty glorious.

There were a lot of painters out and about, and other activity everywhere, including someone singing opera through the trees, and a poor old guy whose new car broke down in front of the mansion. I helped him out because he didn't have a cell phone and he seemed pretty stressed, and after that I decided to call it quits for the day, especially sicne the sun was changing dramatically. I put the finishing touches on it at home.

If you are familiar with Sarasota Florida and visiting the area, take some time out to visit the Phillippi Estate Park. Especially if you have a dog to walk. It's really quite pleasant. Here's my view of the mansion that I painted:





, , , , ,, ,,,.>,, .>,.

1 comment:

steve schadt said...

i shoot photos at the mansion all the time. Your paintings are beautiful. You might like to checkout my pics because some of them are from right around your painting's locale...

http://schadt.com/2012/04/phillippi-creek-mansion/

Keep it up...

Steve Schadt