Wednesday, December 05, 2012

"Country Road", 9x12, oil on Raymar panel, impressionist paintings, country landscape, woman with umbrella, boat, house

"Country Road", 9x12, oil on Raymar panel

A while back I did a small little study of a painting by  19th century french Impressionist Édouard Leon Cortès (1882–1969).  Cortes is known as "Le Poete Parisien de la Peinture" or "the Parisian Poet of Painting" because of his diverse Paris cityscapes in a variety of weather and night settings.

I fell in love with his style of painting and today I decided to do another painting after his rustic country landscapes. In this version, I tried to learn from him while also incorporating a bit of my own style into the painting.

Learning from the old masters is a wonderful way to improve one's artistic skill. I did many paintings after Monet when I first started to paint, and I never grow tired of what I can learn from the French Impressionists!

No comments: