Friday, October 06, 2017

"Lovers in the Rose Garden", 9x12, plein air oil study, The Ringling, Museums in Sarasota, John and Mabel Ringling, Mabel's Rose Garden, plein air, wedding venues in Florida, statues, small paintings, Maryanne Jacobsen art, romance, mystery

"Lovers in the Rose Garden", 9x12, plein air oil study

I always love painting at The Ringling, but this week was a bit of an exception. The wind from Hurricane Nate, far away, yet still in the Gulf, was  a force to be reckoned with as I attempted to paint this courting couple in Mabel's Rose Garden. Named for Mabel Ringling, the rose garden is filled with statues of lovers, beautiful roses, and a small pavilion, with a backdrop of ancient canyon trees to add mystery to the charm.

It was that mystery that I wanted to capture in this little study, pitting the dark banyan forrest against the sun-lit statue of the lovers.


The wind whipped everything about. My trash basket flew away dozens of times, and at one point my hat blew off and flew right into the wet painting. Not to be deterred, I held tight to my easel and did the best I could in the two hour time frame I had given myself.

The Ringling, formerly known as the The Ringling Museum, is a real treasure in Sarasota, Fl. Seated right on Sarasota Bay, Ca' D' Zan, the mansion of John and Mabel Ringling, is a jewel to behold. There are museums to wander and manicured grounds to explore, but choosing a cool day is preferable since it gets very warm throughout the year.

The temp was about 91 when I painted this, but the wind took away some of my discomfort.  As I painted, I wondered who the couple were, how the young man had lost his hand and if the fair damsel holding the basket truly cared for him.

It's all a mystery!

This little plein air study is available for purchase. Just contact me at maryannejacobsen@aol.com, for more information.


No comments: