Thursday, June 20, 2019

"Hayes Clark Bridge at The Laurels Preserve", 12x16, oil on panel, The Laurels Preserve, Brandywine Conservancy, Plein Air adventures, Farm to Table Plein air, The Farm at Doe Run, Chester County paintings, covered bridges of Chester County Pennsylvania, Hayes Clark Covered bridge, conservation



"Hayes Clark Bridge at The Laurels Preserve", 12x16, oil on panel

The Laurels is a preserve that is part of the Brandywine Conservancy in Chester County, Pa. According to the Conservancy's website "Native Americans once fished the streams that are now called Buck and Doe runs. Millworkers harnessed the water for gristmills and a steel rolling mill during the late 18th and early 19th centuries. For decades in the 20th century, the King Ranch grazed cattle in lush pastures adjacent to the streams."

This painting was an effort on so many levels, but that's how it sometimes goes with plein air painting. As a participating artist in the Farm to Table plein air event, The Laurels is one of the locations that we are permitted to paint at. Although a Chester County resident for many years, I was not really very familiar with the West Marlborough area of Chester County where the Laurels are located, but I headed out that way anyway with a map in hand, thinking, "How hard can it be to find this place?"

That was an understatement. The map from the Brandywine Conservancy was Greek to me, as I was totally unfamiliar with how to get to the roads named on the map. My navigation system on my phone was just as confused as I was, and the Google map on the Land/Art Events site did nothing to help me, either! Although I had started out in  mid-afternoon, I knew that the Preserve was open till dusk so I thought it would be a piece of cake to fit in a painting on such a sunny afternoon, no matter how long it took to get there. 




But getting totally lost was not part of the agenda, and as I grew more and more frustrated with the directions, I suddenly realized that  I was almost out of gas! My car usually warns me with a signal, but I was driving a rental that I was unfamiliar with. By now I had driven up and down Doe Run Rd. a couple dozen times looking for Apple Grove Rd. and yet I had not noticed a gas station for miles and suddenly I was filled with panic.

I suddenly remembered that my cousin, entrepreneur Dick (Richard) Hayne, had a farm out here somewhere called The Farm at Doe Run, where they make award-winning cheeses. Was he anywhere nearby, I wondered? I reasoned that he must be since I was on Doe Run Road! If I was able to find his farm, would he happen to have a gallon of gas available? I suspected that people living in such rural areas must have gas cans around!  I hadn't seen Dick in many years since my sister's wedding and as I drove past acres of gorgeous , verdant fields looking for what might possibly be a cheese farm I suddenly saw it- a Landhope Farms gas station! Hallelujah! 

It took a while to figure out how to operate the gas tank, but once I had gas in the car and had relaxed a bit, I was once again determined to find the Laurels, so I went along Doe Run Rd. looking for any sign or marker that might help me out.

Finally I saw the sign for Apple Grove Rd. and just beyond it was an almost obscure sign on a fence post that announced the Preserve. Jeez Louise they must not want people to come here, I thought!

Driving up the road a bit, I eventually found an empty parking lot, dragged my stuff out of the car and headed for the latched gate. Ominous looking clouds were gathering in the sky by now, and I kept hoping they would disappear. I headed up a gravelly dirt road wheeling my art stuff in a suitcase and hoping I'd find a place to paint that inspired me.

But there was nothing- no inspiration and no sign of people or even wildlife. I made an enormous effort to keep moving although the suitcase was not cooperating. I was walking along what was either Buck Run or Doe Run Stream or possibly the Brandywine, but the water, trees and all that green just seemed too overwhelming to paint after the stress of the past couple hours.




I suddenly remembered that another artist had painted a beautiful red, covered bridge here and I was determined to find it! According to my conservancy map, there were two covered bridges in the Preserve and they certainly looked like they couldn't be that far away from the parking lot! 

But boy was I wrong. After what seemed like an eternity, I finally came to the first bridge, which wasn't red at all, but a drab ugly grey, plus the skies had clouded over and there was no sign of any sunshine. At this point I had no desire to keep looking for the pretty red bridge! The scene before me was straightforward,  and a decent composition , and since I had painted covered bridges before, I knew this was my best bet at snagging a quick painting at this site.

By now it was late afternoon, and I set up quickly and laid in my darks which covered most of the canvas. Then out of the blue, the sun broke through and the scene looked totally different. The bridge was nestled into a dark little space fringed with leaves from the neighboring trees lit by sunlight, and the path through the open field broke into light just past the bench and fenceposts. I quickly adjusted the color notes in the foreground field and path, and worked on the focal point, which was the light on the tree leaves against against the dark bridge opening. Suddenly the painting started to come to life!

But then the sun was gone again and I began to hear thunder in the distance. I knew I had enough information to finish it now, and so I quickly packed up and headed back down the gravelly road, hoping the trip to the car would somehow feel shorter than the incoming trip had been!

I no sooner got to the car then rain started pelting the windshield! 

Wow.  What an afternoon! Just another plein air adventure to add to many others, I thought. Happily, this one ended well!

To learn more about the Farm to Table Plein air event which will culminate in an art show and sumptuous  locally grown food event, please visit my website here. Tickets to the event will be available in September. 

No comments: