Monday, June 24, 2024

"Springtime, China Cove", 12x16, oil


 "Springtime, China Cove", 12x16, oil

I have painted this same scene numerous times in the past and I never get tired of it. The gorgeous Pacific Ocean stretching way back into the distance with the various little peninsulas stretching out in between makes for a wonderful study in creating distance and atmosphere in your paintings. 

I won a first place ribbon with my first rendering of China Cove, way back in 2015, judged by renowned watercolor artist  Vladislav Yeliseyev. The award landed me representation at a gallery in Sarasota, Florida. The painting was put in the front display window and immediately sold.

I have a wonderful memory of painting at Point Lobos State Preserve during the Plein Air convention in Monterrey 10 years ago. It was there on my second trip to the Preserve that I veered further south and discovered the beautiful little cove that was hidden away in a protected niche of the sanctuary. This is where the seals would come and play and nurse their cubs in the springtime. The waters were a translucent blend of vivid emerald and turquoise and cerulean blue, such as I had never before seen together in one place. So I set up my easel and paints, and allowed the beauty of that place to become a part of my memory. 

All around me I could hear seals barking, gulls reeling and nature in all its glory responding to this beautiful sanctuary of peace and tranquillity.

Here are some pictures from that day.



I have been blessed to paint in many beautiful places in this great country, but Point Lobos Preserve on the Pacific Coast will always be way at the top of the list of my favorite places to paint and visit.

If you are interested in this painting, please send me an email at maryannejacobsen@aol.com.

Thanks for visiting my blog.


No comments: