Sunday, January 23, 2011

Raah, painitngs of roses

SOLD"Raah", 8x10, oil on canvas

My friend Joyce explained to me that the Hebrew word "raah' means to see. She said it's the kind of "seeing" that God did when He made creation and He saw that it was good.. It's not just a physical seeing. It's a spiritual seeing. It's a gift from God and not from ourselves when we can see this way.

Trying to render this rose with accuracy was hard, but it forced me to see in a whole new way. I had to study that rose and every single petal it contained in order to see it with brand new eyes. I discovered that the rose is an incredibly complex thing to paint. It has multiple petals, and each and every petal has it's own set of curving planes, some parts of the petal turning towards the light, some parts facing away from the light, some catching reflected light and some catching highlights. It took me a long time to paint this rose. But in the end I was glad that I forced myself to do it, as it enabled me to see the beauty and complexity of the rose in a whole different way- much different from the typical abstract palette knife strokes I generally use to haphazardly render one of God's most gorgeous creations.

This painting was a gift to someone special. I hope that you enjoyed seeing it again.

2 comments:

Susan Roux said...

You did an amazing job on this Maryanne. Yes you paid attention to the light, whether reflective or direct. Wonderful accomplishment. You've inspired me to go paint...

Paintdancer said...

Thanks so much Susan. Hope you have a happy painterly day!