Friday, September 02, 2011

"Blue Hydrangeas and grapes", 18x24, oil on canvas

SOLD
"Blue Hydrangeas and grapes", 18x24, oil on canvas

Note: this painting received the Juror's Award, in the "Harvest of Art" exhibit at the Visual Arts Center of Punta Gorda.

I decided to do another painting with cool colors and a limited palette. I figured that blue hydrangeas would make for a good subject and so I went to Whole Foods and found what I was looking for. I had a little pink and yellow-colored hydrangea in my garden, and decided to add that to the set-up, since the tea cup had pink in it. I'm happy with the way that the painting came out, and for the first time I woke up the next day and decided not change anything.

I am one of those people that has been known to futz with a painting too much, ultimately destroying any spontaneity it ever once knew. I am beginning to realize that when a painting turns out less than successful, it's better to put it away for awhile, rather than beating myself up over it. Then, often I'll take it out months later and realize exactly what I had done wrong. Which tells me that I've improved! I decided that if I try to fix every unsuccessful painting, how will I ever see my progress? (assuming that I'm actually able to fix it!)

I like my new philosophy. Artists tend to be too hard on themselves, and I am no exception. That's what makes us improve, however, the need to be better than what we were.

Here's the set-up that I used for the painting:

If you have any interest in purchasing this painting, please send me an email at maryannejacobsen@aol.com. Have a happy holiday!

, , , ,, ,,, ,

No comments: