Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Self Portrait, Maryanne Jacobsen

"Self Portrait at 50", 16x20, oil on linen

I started painting this a while back for a self-portrait competition. Eventually, I gave up on the competition and put the painting away. Today I took it out and worked on it for awhile, and I think it came out as a pretty good likeness in the end.

I was wearing way too much make-up for a 50 year old, but at least I was having a good hair day. Here's the reference photo that I used, which was shot in the porch of my home in Chester Springs back in 2002:


Boy, I wish I was still 112 pounds!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

It's a beautiful portrait of a beautiful person! You did such a gorgeous job with the colors and shadows. What does it feel like to be painting your own face? I can't imagine all the thoughts that would go through one's mind in painting a self portrait. This turned out so nice!

Paintdancer said...

HI Katherine,

You are so sweet! Thanks so much for visiting my blog and thanks for the lovely comments. Yes, a self-portrait was hard to do. Posting it was even harder! It felt so egotistical! Ugh!