Sunday, March 18, 2012

Purple Meets Orange". 16x12, oil on linen, orange, tangerine, purple vase, grapevine, grapes, still life, Maryanne Jacobsen art

SOLD

Purple Meets Orange". 16x12, oil on linen

I think this is one of my all-time favorite still lifes that I have yet painted. I loved the way the tangerine looked against the purple vase and how fluid the grape leaves came out. This painting won a People's Choice award and just sold through Gallerie Unique.

In other news, the opening gala of The Light Chasers Exhibit was a grand success. At least 500 people attended the gala on Friday night and every single painting in the show was a winner! I was proud to be part of such a talented group of plein air painters!

On Friday morning, I drove to Naples and had the opportunity to watch Calvin Liang do a wonderful demo at The Naples Pier. I had a few questions as did the other people in the workshop and Calvin was helpful in answering our questions. He stressed the four basics for a successful painting over and over again: form, color, values and edgework. He also stressed the importance of excellent drawing skill and he took a good deal of time to map out his composition with charcoal before actually starting to paint. Calvin is one of my all-time favorite artists and to watch him work was a thrill for me. It was an extremely hot and humid day, but it was worth standing on the beach to see this master at work!

No comments: