Friday, May 26, 2023

"Little white Church", 10x12, oil on panel, boca grande, little white churches, island art, palm trees, tropical art, church on the island, Lady of Mercy Catholic Church


 "Little White Church ", 10x12, oil on panel

I used to love painting outdoors (en plein air) until a couple nasty bouts with skin cancer discouraged me from continuing. But the really unique thing about painting on site is that the experience of painting that scene stays in your memory for a long time afterwards. Which makes it easier to go back into the studio and paint the scene again. 

I painted this church some years ago and I remember the challenges I had to deal with then, such as the raking palm shadows on the building, and the many palm trees that had to be dealt with. I think I did a pretty good job with the little plein air piece, and it did in fact sell quickly.

So today I decided to paint it again, and while the challenges were still the same, the process went quicker because I remembered the experience.

Here is a photo of the little painting I did on location:


This little church is a favorite spot for the artists that come and paint on the island of Boca Grande. If you are interested in the painting, just send me a quick email at maryannejacobsen@aol.com.

Thanks for visiting my blog.

No comments: