Saturday, August 31, 2024

"Secrets", 12x16, oil on panel, repurposed panels, portraits of women, women and jewelry, portrait painting, redheads, all prime painting


 "Secrets", 12x16, oil on panel

Sometimes if I have a good linen panel that I paid decent money for, I'll end up doing a really lousy painting on it. In the past, that would have really bothered me, because these linen panels can be very expensive! Recently, I solved the problem of guilt over a lousy painting on an expensive panel by taking it outdoors, sanding it down by hand till the surface becomes as smooth as I can get it, and then putting a nice thick coat of Gamblin white ground on it.

The portrait above was painted on just such a surface. I wasn't able to get all of the impasto marks completely smooth, but they were smooth enough to do this portrait, and I was pretty happy with how it came out.

I think I could have been a little bolder with the light on her red hair, but otherwise, I was okay with the result. 

Have you ever felt like you wasted something and figured out a way to salvage it?

Let me know in the comments below.

Thanks for visiting my blog, and do come back again!

No comments: