Thursday, August 22, 2024

"Supermarket Flowers", 9x12, oil on panel, floral. still life, supermarket flowers, daisies, Ed Sheehan singer, painting from life


 "Supermarket Flowers", 9x12

I tend to eschew supermarket flowers. They never really turn me on the way an arrangement in a floral shop can. But who can afford the luxury of floral shop flowers anymore? I can't.

I have flowers I my garden, a typical Florida garden. But the flowers I love, like delphiniums, peonies, hydrangeas, hollyhocks and roses, don't grow here. Well, some roses grow here, but I haven't had luck with them.

So the other day in Publix, I picked up an expensive arrangement of the usual- carnations, daisies, and two roses and brought them home. After looking at them for a couple days, I decided to paint them. Here's my set-up:



While painting, I always listen to Pandora. I recently heard a song called "Supermarket Flowers" by a British singer /songwriter named Ed Sheehan. It's a lovely little ballad about his mom and I cry every time I listen to it. I sent it to my three sons and told them I want this played at my funeral. They rolled their eyes. But I bet one of them will remember it when the time comes, hopefully.

Thanks Ed, for this lovely song. I saw that you wrote it back in 2017, but I have no idea why I haven't heard it until recently.

If you would like to listen to "Supermarket Flowers" just follow this link.

If you would like to purchase the little painting through my website, please go here.

Thanks for visiting my blog. Please come back again soon.

No comments: