Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Cortes Study, 5x7

"Pastoral Scene after Cortes", 5x7 after Eduard Leon Cortes

From Wikipedia: Édouard Leon Cortès (1882–1969) was a French post-impressionist artist of French and Spanish ancestry. He is known as "Le Poete Parisien de la Peinture" or "the Parisian Poet of Painting" because of his diverse Paris cityscapes in a variety of weather and night settings.

I discovered Cortes a few months ago through a post on Facebook, and fell in love with his country landscapes. Although he is predominately known for his cityscapes of Paris, it was those rustic country scenes that really charmed me. I know a lot of artists who copy the Old Masters in order to learn from them. I haven't done much of this, but yesterday I decided to try my hand at doing a little copy of one of Cortes's country scenes. I learned a lot from this study and will certainly do more of these practical little studies in the future.

Here is the image of the painting that I saw on Facebook. Unfortunately, I don't know the title.

Untitled- Eduard Leon Cortes

No comments: