Sunday, November 08, 2009

Sloop John B-impressionist still life grapes, flowers

SOLD
"Sloop John B", 7x5, oil on wrapped canvas

I have really been lacking creativity lately. So much so that I could not for the life of me come up with a descriptive name for this painting. The whole painting is rather weird- not just the title. I used a totally different palette than what I normally paint with - substituting cobalt blue for what is typically my Manganese and Ultramarine. I also added yellow ochre, olive green and sap green to the mix- three colors that I almost never use. It started out as a grape study and then I went off into some loosely rendered vases and flowers. The entire time I was painting I played the Beach Boys "Sloop John B" over and over. I set the CD player to repeat and over the three -four hours it took me to paint this I never got sick of the song. I've always liked it as a matter of fact, so I guess if you like a song once, you'll always like it.

So anyhow, that's how the painting got it's name. Send me an email if interested int he painting, otherwise just go watch the Beach Boys as they sing the Sloop song. Here's their old black and white video from YouTube, which is pretty funny to watch actually. However, watching it kind of ruined the song a bit for me, because the lyrics always evoked some really strong imagery in my mind of a cute young guy on a sloop with a bunch of drunken sailors, fighting and throwing corn. Oh well.
, , , , ,, ,,,, .

No comments: