Wednesday, July 20, 2011

"Backyard Bunny and Radishes", 12x16, oil on board, plein air, by Maryanne Jacobsen


"Backyard Bunny and Radishes", 12x16, oil on board, plein air, by Maryanne Jacobsen

I started this painting a few days ago, but it was so hot and humid that I didn't last very long out in the heat. Even under the shade (where I was painting) it was at least a hundred degrees and the humidity was so bad that I was soaked with sweat after about an hour. Today was a smiddgen cooler than last week, meaning it was about 95 instead of a hundred, but I dragged everything back out onto my lanai and finished the painting. The radishes had completely wilted but that didn't much matter.

My husband put his two cents in when I thought that the painting was finished, telling me I needed to "pop" the red flowers next to the pool fountain. So pop them I did.

Here is the photo of my bunny set-up:


The hummingbird feeder added some really nice reflections, though I didn't include the reflection of ME painting the bunny!

The light in Florida is very harsh in the summer, with high contrast between light and shadow. I have not done many plein air paintings this year, because the weather has not been very cooperative.

If you are interested in this painting, feel free to send me an inquiry at maryannejacobsen@aol.com. To visit my official website and see more of my paintings, please go here.

, , , , ,, ,,,

No comments: