Tuesday, July 05, 2011

"June Gloom, Laguna Beach", 10x8, oil on wrapped canvas by Maryanne Jacobsen


"June Gloom, Laguna Beach", 10x8, oil on wrapped canvas

If you are familiar with southern California, you probably know that the residents experience a phenomenon known as May grays and June Gloom. Some people actually experience Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) during this time. From Wiki:
June Gloom (sometimes May Gray) is a Southern California term for a weather pattern that results in overcast skies with cool temperatures during the late spring and early summer in the mornings and afternoons. For example, June is the cloudiest month of the year in San Diego.[1] In the early 20th century, this phenomenon was sometimes known as "high fog."
In southern California, June Gloom is caused by the Catalina eddy.
I visited Laguna Beach last year during this time, and can vouch for how gray and frankly depressing the atmosphere can make one feel. Since most people are familiar with my art as a result of my enthusiasm for color, I am sure this painting will cause some of my followers to gasp. Nonetheless, I wanted to try to capture that bleak, gray atmosphere of the day on canvas, and this was the result. Here is my reference photo for the painting:


The woman in the red shirt walking down the beach was a welcome color spot on the scene and acts as a nice focal point in my painting.


No comments: