Friday, September 07, 2018

"Periwinkle Hydrangeas and Plums", 12x16, oil on copper panel, hydrangea, paintings on copper, impasto florals, sunflower paintings, paintings with texture, Maryanne Jacobsen art

"Periwinkle Hydrangeas and Plums", 12x16, oil on copper panel (Note: If you click on the image, you can better see the impasto in the painting)

This summer I have done some additional experimentation with painting on copper panels. There is a wonderful patina that peeks through the painting in the areas that you don't paint. Sort of like a warm underpainting, only better. The problem with painting on copper is that it is slippery and the paint does not adhere to it the way it would to a canvas or linen panel. That being said, I enjoy the challenge of the slippery surface and feel as though I am getting better at handling it.

The painting above was painted with mostly a palette knife, so it's loaded with thick impasto, adding to  the special effects of the copper!

I set up the still life on my lanai (Florida word for (patio), and finished it in my air-conditioned studio.

Here's my set-up:
I am thinking that I'll do a few more florals on copper before I use the copper for figurative work.

If you would like to purchase this painting, it is available through Gallery444 in San Francisco. Phone number is (415) 434-4477. Thanks for looking!

No comments: