Saturday, January 22, 2022

" Tango", 12x16, oil on linen, Latin dance, ballet, dance art, ballroom dance


" Tango", 12x16, oil on linen

Before my art career began, I was a dancer. I took ballet classes 4 to 5 times a week until I was in my mid-fifties, at which point I decided that painting was a lot easier on my joints than dancing. I was director of a large dance school for many years, and Artistic Director or a regional Ballet Company join the suburbs of of Philadelphia.

The love of dance never leaves you, once you get bitten by the dance bug. After moving to Florida and quitting ballet, I tried ballroom dancing with my husband. I absolutely loved it, but unfortunately, he hated it. So rather than look for a new partner, I quit as well. Today I still take line dance classes for fun and to keep my memory sharp, but it can't replace the joy I used to feel in ballet class.

The Tango is my favorite latin dance. It epitomizes the passion of the Latin people and the syncopated sultry rhythms of Spanish music.

I did enjoy painting this one, if only for the memories it brought back of thousands of dance classes over the years, and hours spent at the barre honing technique.

To all dance lovers out there, keep on dancing. 

No comments: