Wednesday, June 07, 2017

"Paisley Scarf", 16x16, oil on linen, beautiful women , women with scarfs, impressionism, gesture painting, Maryanne Jacobsen fine art, Paisley patterns, redheads

"Paisley Scarf", 16x16, oil on linen

I have recently been trying to get more painterly in my approach to portrait painting. So I have been prating 30 minute gesture drawings a couple times a week. The goal of these little gestures is to get freer, more spontaneous, in the approach to the subject, and not working about resemblance to any degree.

After doing about half a dozen of these quick gestures, I decided to try a bigger one with no time limits. "Paisley Scarf" was the result and I was not unhappy with it.

I love the old romantic looks of women from the silent era films and roaring twenties. This was an attempt to re-create that feeling in a woman's portrait.

No comments: